Given the former Town of Bromptonville’s close proximity to the St. Francis River, the river’s power, and the fact that the village was built on an old river bed, floods were a frequent occurrence. Major floods were recorded in Bromptonville in 1872, 1891, 1901, 1902, 1921, 1925, and 1948.
Naturally, these floods resulted in Brompton’s agricultural land becoming very fertile through the numerous deposits of silt. But, they caused severe damage to the town core of Brompton, which is not farmland. This is why, in the late 1920s, the mayor, Adélard Allard, had a dyke and an aqueduct built. This system helped prevent major flooding in town as occurred in 1925.
However, these measures were useless when, on March 22, 1948, the Brompton Pulp & Paper Company opened its sluice gates and caused a disaster. By way of the Parc de la Rive, thousands of tons of ice took over the old river bed’s path.
To resolve this issue once and for all, a concrete wall was built all the way along the village of Bromptonville. The wall was completed in 1951 and since then, catastrophes like the disaster of 1948 have never been repeated.