Beginning in the first quarter of the 20th century, Saint-Lambert and Wilfrid-Laurier streets became the home of leaders, noteworthy businessmen, and several politicians. Large lots close to amenities and main roads were sold to them by the speculator Onésime Lambert, their future neighbour. There, they built houses that were large and extravagant.
The first to build was the Honourable Senator Edmund W. Tobin. His house, known as the Château Tobin, was built at the top of Wilfrid-Laurier Street in 1903. Featuring more than 23 rooms, this Victorian-style jewel was destroyed by fire in 1932.
The second to do so was notary J. Adélard Ouellet who built a Queen Anne-style house with Gothic influences at 119 Saint-Lambert Street in the mid-1910s. This house has remained in the Ouellet family for several decades.
The third was E. U. Germain who served as General Manager for the Brompton Lumber & Manufacturing Company. The large eight-bedroom, two-bathroom house that he built on Wilfrid-Laurier Street in 1920 included a 30-foot well. E. U. Germain did not live there very long. Building his house ran him into debt and he was forced to sell it to a certain Mr. Trudeau, a metalworker from Sherbrooke.
The fourth, James Patrick Mullins, was Manager at his uncle Edmund W. Tobin’s general store when he built an imposing Tudor-style house at 132 Saint-Lambert Street in 1923. The house remained in the Mullins family until the 1970s.
One of the last, Philippe Lambert, was a prosperous general merchant and the son of Onésime Lambert. In 1927 he bought the land located at 135 Saint-Lambert from his father and built a Queen Anne-style house there.