In 1900, ten years after Alfred Paradis married Délima Leclerc at Sherbrooke’s Saint-Michel parish, the couple settled in Brompton Falls. Délima was the daughter of a farrier and veterinarian. Alfred was the son of a general merchant.
An educated and wealthy family, as soon as they arrived, the Paradis built a grocer’s shop on the corner of Alcide-Savoie and Du Curé-LaRocque streets. When Alfred Paradis died in 1937, it was Ernest who took over from his father. He added a small restaurant to the business, which attracted all of the town’s residents. In 1948, he handed down the business to his children Gérard, Marguerite, Roland, and Thérèse.
Ernest Paradis died on May 2, 1982 in Bromptonville. Not long after, his father’s business closed after more than 80 years of service. At the same time, the family opened a corner store on the other side of the street.